- 300g basmati rice
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 4 tbsp red curry paste
- 85g raisins
- 850ml chicken stock
- chopped coriander and
- toasted flaked almonds to serve
- Soak the rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear.
- Heat butter in a saucepan and cook the onions with the bay leaf and other whole spices for 10 mins.
- Sprinkle in the turmeric, then add chicken and curry paste and cook until aromatic.
- Stir the rice into the pan with the raisins, then pour over the stock.
- Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to a hard boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 10 mins.
- Stir well, mixing through half the coriander.
- To serve, scatter over the rest of the coriander and the almonds.
Fettuccine à la Hamilton College
Author: John & Naomi
Serves: all your friends
servings = per person, multipy as necessary
- 1 cup dry spinach fettucini noodles per person, cooked al dente in salted water
- ½ cup cottage cheese per person
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds per person
- Toss all ingredients together and serve!
- Isn't that easy!
Taken by an awesome photographer: Miika Järvinen
A Sunday dinner staple
- 1 kg potatoes
- 2 yellow onions
- 2-5 dl milk
- 3 dl cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3-4 dl (100 g) grated cheese
- Peel the potatoes and then slice them in ½ cm slices (1/4").
- Peel and chop the onions.
- Put the cream, milk, salt, pepper, garlic, onions and potatoes in a pot.
- Cook up on medium heat for about 5 minutes (after they are simmering), continue until the potatoes are flexible. (they should not become mushy! Whoa! Stop Now!)
- Dump everything into a baking dish (casserole dish).
- (at this point the dish can be saved for some days in the fridge)
- Spread the grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 225°C or 350°F until golden brown.
- approx. 25 minutes for warm potatoes, 35 minutes if it has been chilled
- Cool a bit before serving.
For all my homesick Swedes…something for your android phones: arlanda_plingplong.mp3