Potatoes au Gratin
A Sunday dinner staple
- 1 kg potatoes
- 2 yellow onions
- 2-5 dl milk
- 3 dl cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3-4 dl (100 g) grated cheese
- Peel the potatoes and then slice them in ½ cm slices (1/4").
- Peel and chop the onions.
- Put the cream, milk, salt, pepper, garlic, onions and potatoes in a pot.
- Cook up on medium heat for about 5 minutes (after they are simmering), continue until the potatoes are flexible. (they should not become mushy! Whoa! Stop Now!)
- Dump everything into a baking dish (casserole dish).
- (at this point the dish can be saved for some days in the fridge)
- Spread the grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 225°C or 350°F until golden brown.
- approx. 25 minutes for warm potatoes, 35 minutes if it has been chilled
- Cool a bit before serving.