- 300g basmati rice
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 4 tbsp red curry paste
- 85g raisins
- 850ml chicken stock
- chopped coriander and
- toasted flaked almonds to serve
- Soak the rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear.
- Heat butter in a saucepan and cook the onions with the bay leaf and other whole spices for 10 mins.
- Sprinkle in the turmeric, then add chicken and curry paste and cook until aromatic.
- Stir the rice into the pan with the raisins, then pour over the stock.
- Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to a hard boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 10 mins.
- Stir well, mixing through half the coriander.
- To serve, scatter over the rest of the coriander and the almonds.