Back in the old days, nothing was wasted. When visitors were spied approaching in the distance, the leftover breakfast porridge was quickly transformed into a dessert to serve the guests, along with coffee naturally. Creative cookery!
- 1 liter of milk
- 1 dl round rice (or 1 ½ cups semolina*)
- 1 dl flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 dl sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 50 g butter (or margarine)
- Cook the milk and rice / semolina to a smooth porridge then allow it to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs together.
- Mix the eggs into the porridge.
- Then add the flour, salt and cardamom.
- Add more milk if batter is too thick.
- Grease a baking dish or round pan and pour in the batter.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake at 200°C (350°F) for about 40 - 60 minutes.
- Serve with sviskonkräm (plum jam) and snömos (Åland slang for whipped cream).
*Semolina is farina.