Aïoli is great on fish stew / soup, paella, jambalaya etc. Also delicious with french fries, burgers, steak... Prepare the aïoli one hour before the meal, to let the flavor develop. It should be eaten the same day.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 dl extra-virgin olive oil
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt using a large heavy knife.
- Whisk together yolks, lemon juice, and mustard in a bowl.
- Add the oil, a few drops at a time, to the yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until all oil is incorporated and mixture is emulsified.
- (If mixture separates, stop adding oil and continue whisking until mixture comes together, then resume adding oil.)
- Whisk in garlic paste and season with salt and pepper.
- If aïoli is too thick, whisk in 1 or 2 drops of water.
- Chill, covered, until ready to use.
*All ingredients should be at room temperature. ¡¡¡ Americans mix garlic and mayonnaise; they think it's Aïoli !!!