Simple and tasty salad which is eaten in many homes everyday in Chile.
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, halved and then thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley or cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed then minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, cubed (optional)
- Thinly slice onion and place in bowl, salt generously and mix well.
- Let it marinate for ½ hour.
- While marinating the onions, slice the tomatoes and chop the parsley / cilantro.
- Then place them in a serving bowl.
- Crush garlic. Add olive oil and mix.
- Rinse onions in a strainer using cold water to remove the strong flavors and salty residue (pat dry with paper towels as necessary).
- Add them to salad bowl and pour over the garlic and olive oil mixture.
- Add lime juice and freshly ground pepper. Mix gently.
- Option: Add avocado. Mix again.