Aka Imperial Soup, adapted from a recipe in Ita Jones' wonderful cookbook "The Grub Bag". This is a luscious golden soup, feels like eating sunshine!
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon turmeric*
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 big onion
- tomato paste
- 1 cup vermicelli
- 1 lemon
- fresh parsley
- Peel and coarsely grate the carrots, potatoes and onion.
- Sauté the turmeric in the butter for about a minute until bubbly.
- Add 1 liter of vegetable bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Add the grated vegetables to the pot.
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste, mixed with a bit of water to smooth it out.
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Add a cup of vermicelli and the juice from 1 lemon.
- Cover & simmer approx 5 minutes (until vermicelli is done).
- Stir it so that the bottom does not scorch.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup minced fresh parsley over the soup.
- Serve with salad, bread & butter.
Turmeric is nature's gift to humans. Read about it at : http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/benefits-of-turmeric-for-skin-and-more/